|Prep Time:||1 Hour||Servings:||6 servings||Difficulty:||Medium|
- 1⁄4 cup All purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Onions, chopped
- 1 cup Green bell peppers, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Celery, diced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 3 cups Reduced sodium chicken broth
- 19 oz. Can of tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup Okra or zucchini, diced
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp Paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp Dried thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1⁄4 tsp Salt
- 1⁄4 tsp Black pepper
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. Large shrimp, uncooked
- 4 cups Brown rice, hot and cooked
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Sprinkle flour over the bottom of a small pie plate and toast for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Stir once or twice during cooking time. Remove from oven, transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Melt butter in a large non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, green pepper, celery and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in toasted flour and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add broth and mix well. Add drained tomatoes, okra, cumin, paprika, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp and simmer for 5 more minutes. To serve, spoon rice into individual serving bowls and ladle gumbo over top. Serve hot.
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 23.1g Total Fat 4.3g Carbohydrates 43.1g Calories 308 Sodium 667mg Cholesterol 152mg